My Boys

My Boys
August James and Phoenix Noble

Family is Love

Family is Love

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Breast is Best: Tips for Successful Breastfeeding!

As most of my blog readers know, I had a horrific time breastfeeding. It was so, so hard for me and extremely painful at the beginning. I had various problems from blood blisters on both nipples, to trouble latching August on, to constant dull pain from feeding so often. But there is a reason I perservered and  stuck it out: for my son. I knew there are so many benefits to breastfeeding and I knew it was what was best for him. I was hell bent and determined to breastfeed NO MATTER WHAT and I am so proud that almost 10 months later I am still breastfeeding my little guy and he has never had to be supplemented. Ever. That is a HUGE accomplishment for me! I am so proud of myself for meeting one of my goals, which was to exclusively breastfeed.
I know for new mamas that breastfeeding can be stressful and scary and I want to encourage all mamas to at least try for 1 month to breastfeed. I guarantee you if you give yourself that long you will continue to breastfeed and will be happy you did! It can be very uncomfortable and even painful for some people and it is very time consuming, but please don't be discouraged! I am here to be real with you so you know what to expect. It will make life so much easier once you start your BF journey!
Here are my tried and true tips for successful breastfeeding!
1.) It's going to feel uncomfortable!
It is most likely going to be uncomfortable and even painful the first couple of weeks after birth. You will hear from nurses that "it shouldn't hurt if you are doing it right" but if you have sensitive nipples (like myself) it is going to hurt, even if your technique is perfect! It's a dirty little secret people don't tell you because they don't want to discourage you from breastfeeding but I personally would have liked to know that it was perfectly normal to hurt so I could expect and plan for that!  Your nipples will "toughen up" and you will be good to go! I still remember the first day I nursed with no pain and I finally understood how great nursing could be! In the meantime arm yourself with Lanolin (I recommend the Medela brand because it's much easier to use!), some nipple butter and some nipple gel pads. All of these helped me at various stages. For the nipple butter, I recommend that you pick up an organic brand at New Season's..they have some really good ones. All 3 of these products will soothe the pain after breastfeeding and will help heal your nipples if they get cracks in them or if they are sore. I also used to take 2-3 ibuprofen about 20 minutes before I was to nurse to ease the pain (it's safe for breastfeeding moms by the way) and that helped when it got really bad.
2.) Give birth in a place that is SUPPORTIVE of breastfeeding!
Most hospitals give you samples of formula on your way out the door home and that's not my idea of "being supportive". Birth centers are notoriously supportive and encourage ALL mamas to breastfeed. Line up a lactation consultant for after birth JUST IN CASE! Mine was amazing, and talked to me on the phone for 45 minutes trying to help me through my latch on problems!
3.) Surround yourself with other BF mamas
Almost every mama I know had a hard time breastfeeding and it helps to get tips directly from the source. They've been there and they know EXACTLY what you are going through!! Utilize them! Most will be more than happy to help you because they can remember how hard it was in the beginning!
4.) Prepare to focus on nursing, day in and day out for at least the first 2-4 weeks.
It is imperative that you feed on demand with a newborn and that also will help establish a healthy milk supply.  The reality is that you are going to be breastfeeding every 60-120 minutes for quite a while (and there will be a time during growth spurts when they want to nurse every 30 minutes). Prepare to stay at home as much as possible and really just focus on getting the hang of nursing. It will probably take you at least 2 weeks to get it down and get in a rhythm.
5.) Take care of yourself!
I cannot stress this enough! Always have a glass of water or juice with you when you nurse (nursing will make you very, very thirsty!) and make sure you eat healthy food with lots of fruits and veggies mixed in. Sleep when the baby drifts off, even if it's just for an hour. Take walks to get fresh air and feel human again. Let other people bring you stuff, let them do your laundry, let them make you food.
6.) Make sure your partner is ready to be 100% supportive of breastfeeding!
I have said it before and I will say it again- if Joel was not there to talk me through the most painful times of early breastfeeding- I would have quit. He did so much for me. He sat up in the middle of the night to help latch the baby on (even if it took an hour), he would bring the baby to me and take him away as soon as I was ready, he always had a glass of water or juice for me when I nursed, he massaged my shoulders when I got stressed out, he wiped away my tears when I was frustrated and in pain and he was always positive and encouraged me to keep trying. Make sure your partner knows how important it is to breastfeed and they need to be willing to do anything to help out because there will be times when you want to quit.
7.) Get a good breastpump
Medela is the best brand. Yes they are expensive and yes they are worth it. Do not under any circumstances by a cheapo brand or a hand pump. You will just end up buying the more expensive brand anyway. Also- there are now ways to get insurance to cover the cost of your pump- ask a lactation consultant how to!
8.) Arm yourself with a Boppy pillow and a cover for nursing
These 2 things are essential for nursing out in public. Also be prepared to get dirty looks every once in awhile because you are nursing. There are still ignorant and stupid people out there that think under no circumstances should a mama feed her baby from her breast in public. Don't be hesitant to give a dirty look right back to those people and tell them to go to hell. YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BREASTFEED IN PUBLIC. If someone doesn't like it- they can get lost.
9.) Please, Please buy yourself a GOOD nursing bra.
There is a great bra store off of Macadam Ave in Portland, I think it's called just like a woman or something like that. Go there, get fitted (trust me it's not as bad as you think), and buy 2-3 nursing bras. Make sure you get one for sleeping, too. Go after your milk comes in so you know you will be in the right size!

To end this blog I just want to say that if I can do it, you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment